My Cooliris Wall

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

There is something in the water!

Photo of water drops by *Corrie* from Flickr
    It has been told that human body is made up of 60% of water. The world is made up of 75% water and the rest land. It is simply amazing how we take water for granted. I can be all green and environmental about water but that is not my intention of bringing the topic up. We see water drips everyday everywhere but most of us did not take time to appreciate it.  Look at the picture above. It is taken by dropping two drops of color water. Of course, we cannot see such a thing everyday, and when it happens, it is too fast for us to appreciate. So as a tribute to the beauty of water, I dedicated my project to water and its beauty.

For my first video, the task was to shoot a minute video without editing. I once learned a trick with wine glass and water. Yes, it is the glass harp. I gathered up all the wine glasses I can find (from Dorothea) and fill the water up to the exact frequency of different sound waves. The rest is simply setting the angle and make some music! The result? Check it out below:




The second video was to find the footage on the internet and remix them into some meaningful way. So going back to my water theme. I found a couple of water footage in slow motion. With a bit of cutting and looping, I was able to make some connections between them. I also found the song Will of the Heart from a Japanese Anime Bleach that fits perfectly into what I am trying to bring out. With a little cut up and remix, the song lines up like magic! To ensure the copyright people do not come to take me away, I added water dripping and soft rain sounds. However, it hinders the full experience. Anyways, here it is, Sounds of Water.




To be completely honest, I ran out of ideas for the third video. The rules were that I suppose to find some footage online, create some on my own, and mix them up in a meaningful way. So I thought I should just combine the two ideas above. The making of it was painful. Glass harps are not easy to make when you have access to only one kind of glass. I wanted to play the harp with a selected song. I ended up spent 2 hours filming different notes from the glasses. Then I notice that some notes were simply impossible to achieve. So I have to work with what I got and find a song that matches it. Unfortunately, 1 more hour of song search did not turn up well at all. So I gave up on the song that match, just went with whatever I feel like, and worked with it. So I found this Arabic music. it sounds really relaxing and goes really well with the sounds of glass harp. I sync up my harp notes with the song and some really really cool footage of water droplets. I call it Arabic Water Motion, to honor the song.



I hope you enjoy the show!

3 comments:

  1. The music in your films is funny because it's so over the top dramatic mixed with "chill" as you put it in class. It adds a little bit a humor to your topic: water, which aren't two topics generally mixed together. It's refreshing (haha) to not have to hear another environmental message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Byte, I really enjoyed your video, "Sounds of Water". I feel like the cuts were dead on, and the slow motion effects really spiced it up. I Like your water theme in general as well. It was humorous, but also very well created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sensibility combined with the material you harvest from the Net gets us out of the hackneyed mindset of having to create having the baggage of too many American high school art classes

    ReplyDelete